Back to University - Thoughts from a Final Year Uni Student
I have always been that odd individual who, was excited to reach the end of their tertiary education and finally be able to enter the workforce. For prior to being in my university journey I took an unexpected gap year. Which I've made a video about and you can learn about here. But in a nutshell, I ended up being left on my own for a while went headfirst into the workforce with no experience and learnt quite a lot about myself and the world that I was going to delve into and needless to say, I was excited!
So I am surprised to be here before you, telling you that I AM FREAKING OUT! I guess it was bound to happen, sooner or later. For within my circle of friends, I know people of all types, people who didn't go to university, people who have already graduated, people who went straight into full time work, people who deferred, people who just ended up travelling and people like me who took unplanned gap years.
I guess the proposition of actually going out and seeking out full-time time jobs has finally dawned on me, as it has always usually been for either a casual job, work experience or an internship. So is it naive of me to say that I still feel under qualified for the workforce I'm going to be entering? I've got my first internship of the year locked in for this semester after what seems like an eternity of sending out applications, so now I guess the hard work really starts.
So to keep my sanity, I thought I would do a post about some of my essential to ensure a productive year ahead.
• Laptop - I am quite lucky that my university is quite tech savvy with almost all my lectures and notes being accessible online. So for me my laptop is an essential for all uni days.
• Diary/Planner - This is my central hub. Everything I need to do is kept organised in my fave Kikki.K dairy!
• Notepad & Sticky Notes - Despite uni being quite tech savvy I still print out all my unit guides and readings. To ensure that I can actually scribble and mark down sections I think are important.
• Highlighters - For me are a necessity, as I am a huge fan or colour coding and as I said, I print out all my notes to make sure I actually do my work.
• Earphones - Whether I need to finish off work at the library, want to listen to some music or to catch up on lectures, a good pair of earphones are an essential for every uni student.
• Watch - Handy for exams when phones aren't allowed. I got this for my birthday and it is absolutely perfect!
• University Jumper - I am quite proud of my alma mater. So I'm happy to represent it, and being my final year. I think it's mandatory grab a nice cosy jumper for all those late night hangovers.
Let me know in the comments are you going back to university soon? What are some of your essentials to get organised for university? Or have you already finished, what are some your top tips that got you through the transition from final year to full-time work?